Header Ads

Five Fast Facts About My Photo Sessions



Summer shares five fast facts about her photo sessions.

I know a lot of you are curious about my photo sessions. Especially since so many cats avoid the camera, but I’m drawn to it. Is there a secret formula to cat photography, or is it just me? Well, it is mostly just me — I am a big ham, as my human frequently points out — but there are a few tricks too that make these sessions a pleasant experience for me. You’ll find a couple of those, plus some behind the scenes secrets, in these five facts.

Tight close up of Somali cat face

1. My photo sessions are often only 10 minutes long! And they almost never run over half an hour. The longer ones usually include video, or multiple wardrobe changes. But keeping it short is just part of photographing cats. We lose interest pretty quickly (even when treats are involved!). My human does all the prep work ahead of time with the lights, wardrobe, props, and setting the camera’s controls for the session. Plus any other equipment she might need, like a tripod. The session you are seeing today was about 14 minutes, and my human took around 150 photos.

2. I often show up for my studio photo sessions even before my human needs me. I see her setting up, and gathering equipment and other things she needs, and I come right in while she’s working. That’s how much I love being photographed! She usually gives me a quick groom before we start, and I’m always purring while she does it.

Somali cat in photo session with bell

3. My human often combines photo sessions with training sessions. Partly to keep me in practice, and partly because I enjoy them. Between getting the treats and doing fun tricks, it’s pretty easy for me to love getting photographed. Sometimes she pulls out a toy, but I’m not usually very play motivated.

somali cat giving high five, slightly fuzzy

4. My human and I have been working for years to get the perfect high five photo and we still haven’t accomplished it! It’s mostly because she has cheap equipment and no strobe. If she had a real DSLR and strobe lights, we would have nailed it long ago. Which just goes to show, you don’t need fancy equipment to take good cat photos… but you kind of do need the fancy camera and lights for some specific purposes.

somali cat giving high five, in focus, but paw badly cropped

See? This photo would have been good, but she cropped out part of my paw. We’ve been close to getting that perfect shot a few times, including this photo session.

somali cat looking at text

5. There are literally hundreds of photos of me looking up or to the side sitting on my human’s computer. She saves them to use for announcement graphics… but she almost never does. Except the one above. You’ll see it again a little later, in a separate blog post. If you are a regular to the blog, you’ll know what I’ll be announcing!

* * *


No comments

Powered by Blogger.