Header Ads

Ask US Anything: 1 Ragdoll or 2, Cat Collars, Aloof and Uninterested Ragdoll Kitten



Our “Ask US Anything” is a series of posts on the site where I share the questions/concerns/ideas that readers have sent in and then the responses from our readers about those questions/concerns/ideas.

1 Ragdoll or 2?

Susan wrote in, “Hello, I am a new ragdoll owner and have a bicolor zeal point male named prince Fredrick. I originally had a deposit on two but the female fell and died at the breeders. Really sad. I am slotted to get another on in April but can’t decide if two is better than one. He seems happy and well adjusted. Any thoughts?”

This is a question I get a lot, so I have a standard response for it:

Hi Susan,

Congrats on your new baby and I am sorry to hear about the little girl.

To tell you whether or not to get another cat is not something I can do. The cat won’t be my responsibility, so it would be unethical to say you should.

Of course another baby means 2x cat litter, 2x cat food, 2x vet bills, etc – so there’s the financial responsibility to consider.

I do think introduction of a new cat is crucial and have a page about that – How to Introduce Cats

Here are similar discussions that happened on Facebook that you might find useful to look through:

1 Ragdoll cat or 2 Ragdolls on Facebook



One Ragdoll Kitten vs. Two Ragdoll Kittens

Hope that helps! Good luck with your decision!
Thanks,
Jenny


How to Get a Ragdoll to Wear a Cat Collar

Greg wrote in, “I would be interested in knowing how many ragdoll owners have a collar on their kitty. If so, how did you get them used to wearing one?”

So I asked our Facebook community (if you are not on Facebook, you can still read the comments, etc.)


Aloof and Uninterested Ragdoll Kitten

Kim wrote in asking: “Not sure if this is where to submit a question, but I would like some help if possible. In June 2018 I lost my beloved cat Kit to cancer. He had been my best bud for 15 years, and I was devastated by his death. He had been my shadow all that time-sleeping with me, cuddling on the couch, meeting me at the door, following me around.

I was eager to have that kind of relationship again, and since I had heard such good things about Ragdolls, I decided to purchase a purebred kitten. I got Whispurr at 8 weeks old, and he has since been neutered. He is now 6 months old. While he is truly a beautiful kitten, I am very disappointed with his personality (and believe me, it kills me to say that). He is very uninterested in humans, and would rather be with our German shepherd or our 18 year old cat, who wants nothing to do with him. He sleeps either under the bed or in my closet with my shoes or who knows where. If I lock him in my room at night, he will not stay on the bed once I go to bed. If I try to pet him, more often than not, he moves just out of reach. We can pick him up and hold him for a short time if we remain standing, but if you sit down on the couch he immediately starts squirming to get away.

It’s been a long time since I’ve had a kitten, so I’m not sure if his personality might change as he matures or if I just got the one unloving Ragdoll out there. He is very sweet and tolerant, but just so aloof and uninterested in any interaction with people. He’s not afraid or nervous, just doesn’t care about us. He’s definitely not what I was expecting personality-wise, and I don’t know if I was expecting too much or if he really is not typical. Or if there is anything I can do to improve our relationship. Thank you for any help you can give me.”

I replied:

Hi Kim,

Thanks for reaching out. I am so sorry about your Kit.

Thank you for caring enough about Whispurr to have a good relationship with him.

The first red flag about Whispurr was reading that you got him at 8 weeks old – way too young to get them, hate when breeders do that! They aren’t old enough to be released, as their mother hasn’t taught them everything.

I have posted your question on our Facebook page just now, so please give it 24 hours for it to circulate around the globe and check it again to see what suggestions folks have.

You might check out our post Best Books for Understanding Cat Behavior – lots of books to read about that.

Thanks,
Jenny


Enjoy reading common reader inquiries?  Check out more of our Ask US Anything here: Ask US Anything

The post Ask US Anything: 1 Ragdoll or 2, Cat Collars, Aloof and Uninterested Ragdoll Kitten appeared first on Floppycats.



No comments

Powered by Blogger.