Header Ads

Why I Don’t Wear a Mask… and Why My Human Does



Summer explains why she can't wear a mask, and why her human always does.

Some of you wonder if I miss my therapy cat work. I really do, lots. I don’t know when I’ll get to do it again. It seems like this virus keeps spreading instead of being contained.

somali cat with exhausted Dr. Bones

Dr. Bones hasn’t been home in months because of all the extra care patients need. If they weren’t already boney, he would have worked his fingers to the bone!

I know a lot of people have different opinions about this virus, and wearing a mask, but my human and I don’t listen to politics regarding this. We look to the experiences of the health care professionals who are working directly with people who have it. And from what they are saying, it will be a long time before we can go back to hospital visits.

somali cat with mask around her neck

It’s awful, when simple things like wearing masks and social distancing are demonized because they really are helpful. My human wears a mask, not because she’s afraid of catching the virus. For avoiding contagion, masks actually aren’t all that helpful. Social distancing, staying away from gatherings, and washing hands are the things that help with that. What masks can do is stop you from spreading your germs to other people. And quite often, this virus is asymptomatic. If you do start feeling sick, you have had it for a while. Wearing a mask is a responsible act, and an act of caring, not one of fear. Please don’t let anyone tell you different.

somali cat not happy with mask

So my human always wears a mask when she is out. And she even wears one at home, when the plumber or other workers come over too and she’s talking to them. I can’t wear them, though! Kitties sense the world a lot through their whiskers, and the mask totally gets in the way. Lola’s human had this nice lady send me a couple of masks, but I really had a problem wearing them. I tolerated this one for about a second or two. You humans don’t have whiskers that sense the world around you (only fashion whiskers, on some of the guy humans). So you have no excuse.

Somali cat in dress with treat bell

My human felt bad about making me wear the mask for this photo session, so when we were done with it, she put a dress on me and had me do some tricks. That made me purr!

* * *


No comments

Powered by Blogger.