Header Ads

Ask US Anything: Kidney Disease and Sedation, Ragdoll Cats Vomiting, Ragdoll Cat Shedding



Our “Ask US Anything” is a series of posts on the site where I share the questions/concerns/ideas that readers have sent in and then the responses from our readers about those questions/concerns/ideas.

Kidney Disease and Sedation

Ronee wrote in, “Hoping you can share this on the site.
I recently took my 4 year old Himilayan/Ragdoll mix to the Vet. He really needs his teeth cleaned. I was nervous as before I had adopted him at 8 months he had been attacked by the first family’s dog and had a large hole in his face and nasal cavity. He did have surgery and spent two weeks at the vets. He still has issues with snoring and snorting from this. So the vet read thru the previous vets notes and felt they could do it safely.
But after running blood tests they determined that he has kidney disease. They ran a second test that they sent out to another lab with same results.
They still think I should put him under sedation as his teeth are getting bad.
Has anyone had a cat with kidney disease and done this?
Also since he is so young and we dot know what caused his kidney issue any suggestions on diet or other changes? He eats canned food already.”

I replied:

Hi Ronee,
I had a very old cat who had gone through chemo and was in renal failure who had a dental.  It was super scary, but he came out fine.  We did go to a feline dentist for it – which is different than your vet just doing it.  You can see photos and read about it here: Rags Dental 9-23-08

I posted your inquiry on our Facebook page – 

Thanks,

Jenny


Ragdoll Cats Vomiting

Phyllis wrote in, “My two rags, Tasha, 12 and Tatiana 15 have been vomiting for as long back as I can remember. I have changed food many times, wry, dry
Special food from organic store for pets, to others.
They’re now on Merrill which is a good food. I have a special bowl so they don’t eat fast and raised it off floor. Plenty of fresh water too. Very calm atmosphere and home. Have tried plug in hormones as well.
I’m at a loss for what to do. Both are healthy and well, I’ve given the stuff in tube for hair balls and I comb them often. I’ve had both since birth
I always hear the gagging and then they vomit.
It’s weird that they both do it, and I would love to find the answer.
Online it says cats just throw up a lot
So I’m perplexed.
Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions for us?”

Phyllis wanted me to post it on our Facebook page, so I did that here:


Ragdoll Cat Shedding

Phyllis wrote in, “It’s me again, Phyllis
I have mentioned before the problem I am having with the shedding from both my babies.
I have tried everything, I brush them at least 3x a week or more. It is not seasonal bc it’s been going on for years but it seems worse and I’m getting older and it’s hard for me to keep up with the brushing, vacuuming, etc.
Does anyone do a lion cut? I think it’s the only option BUT now I’m having a hard time bc after asking grooming places and vets , in order to bring them in for it, they have to be vaccinated and they are not. Years ago, I had my older girl have the shot and she got so sick, I thought she was going to die. They are both strictly indoor cars.
Mommy is needing help.”

So I posted on our Facebook page –

We have discussed lion cuts before on the site here.


Enjoy reading common reader inquiries?  Check out more of our Ask US Anything here: Ask US Anything

The post Ask US Anything: Kidney Disease and Sedation, Ragdoll Cats Vomiting, Ragdoll Cat Shedding appeared first on Floppycats.



No comments

Powered by Blogger.