Header Ads

Ask US Anything: Cutting Toe Fluff, Early Spay and Neuter in Ragdoll Kittens, Greasy Tails After Being Neutered



Our “Ask US Anything” is a series of posts on the site where I share the questions/concerns/ideas that readers have sent in and then the responses from our readers about those questions/concerns/ideas.

Cutting Toe Fluff

Aileen wrote in, “Not sure if you’ve covered this anywhere on FB or your site, but I’m wondering about your views (and your readers’ views) on trimming the fur between the toes?

Both my cats have an abundance of ‘toe fluff’, and I’ve heard that they can make the cat slip on wooden floors and they could end up getting splay-legged long term.
I’ve not had issues with litter getting stuck (which I’ve read is another reason people trim the toe fluff), but I wouldn’t like them to have joint problems.
So to trim, or not to trim?

Could you ask on ‘ask us anything’ if this is something of interest to you or your readers?”

I do not trim my cats toe fluff – but went ahead and asked on Facebook for Aileen here:


Early Spay and Neuter in Ragdoll Kittens

Ashton wrote in asking about early spay and neuter in Ragdoll kittens, “I am still unsure about the age a ragdoll should be spayed or neutered. Some breeders I am looking into have it done before they go home at 12 weeks, but others are completely against it and state it is way too young for that. I want to make the right decision about this. Could you give me insight to this matter before I purchase my rag baby?”

I replied:

Hi Ashton,

It’s a tough thing – I am not sure either, but I have learned to support breeders who early spay and neuter. Why? Because it protects the breed from people just breeding because they can.

My parents’ cats are about to turn 15 years old and they were neutered at 6 weeks.

My cats are about to turn 10 years old and they, too, were neutered at 6 weeks.

Here are two articles that might help you:

Thanks,
Jenny


Greasy Tails After Being Neutered

Gaynor wrote in, “could you kindly help me? My two Ragdoll boys have been neutered just over two weeks ago, they are now six months old, and I have noticed that their tails are a little greasy is it anything to do with the neutering and should I see a vet? Don’t know whether I should just try and wash their tails as I know they will not let me bath them Many thanks”

I replied:

I asked on our Facebook page for you, as I was not sure.

Please do check the link in 24 hours as more people respond.

Ann, one of our followers, is a retired veterinarian and commented on the post: “There are glands at the base of the tail that produce a waxy substance especially in males in the presence of testosterone (stud tail). Since they were just neutered their hormone levels are still going down. If you need to get rid the greasy area you can use Dawn dishwashing soap to cut the grease only in the greasy areas and rinse very well.”


Enjoy reading common reader inquiries?  Check out more of our Ask US Anything here: Ask US Anything

The post Ask US Anything: Cutting Toe Fluff, Early Spay and Neuter in Ragdoll Kittens, Greasy Tails After Being Neutered appeared first on Floppycats.



No comments

Powered by Blogger.