Header Ads

New Camera Lens, Oh Boy.



Well Merry Christmas to Jim and me! I just bought a new lens for my SLR camera body (Canon Rebel T4i). It is a Tamron 18-400 mm, and replaces my very average Promaster lenses that came with the  Canon package when I bought it years ago. The Tamron was on sale at the Camera Company in Madison, WI, and we got a good deal ($90 for my Promasters, free $150 polarizing filter, sale price on lens itself). I’ve taken some nice photos with the Promaster lenses, but wanted better resolution and faster focus. Of course, what I’d really like is a lens that costs thousands of dollars, but that’s just not going to happen. The one we bought is a good value for the money, and until I win the lottery, I’m happy with it. Got great service and advice at the store too–I love buying local and being rewarded for it.

Wheee, fun today with the camera! Predictably, today is a great challenge for photography, it being dull and gloomy outside.  It’s just terrible light for most pictures, especially those taken at the fast shutter speed needed when taking photos of moving animals.

But here’s what I got this morning when Willie and Maggie were playing tug, in terrible light:

Below is Lady Godiva giving Maggie the evil eye as she’s being held in the corner. Notice that the focus is on the center of the sheep in the center of the photo (the ‘auto focus’ point, which I can change any time but didn’t for this pic), not on Maggie.

And here are two attempts to find something photo-worthy on a dark, cloudy, grey and brown November day:

  Pears — the perfect winter fruit:

Stones in a new rock wall in our yard. Love ’em.

I can’t wait for more opportunities to take pictures. What are you buying yourself for Christmas? For gifts to others, I am only buying books, giving food I’ve cooked myself (lots!) and/or donations to worthy causes for Christmas. You?

One last thing for this week: Thank you all so much for the Thanks Giving responses. I’ve savored them all weekend, and will continue to read them again and again this week. I can’t begin to comment about each one, but know that each one crept its way into my heart (and I hope yours too). Just more to be thankful for. . .



No comments

Powered by Blogger.