Header Ads

Ruby’s Reflections: Contributing to Science



cat-ladder

Hi everyone, it’s Ruby! You’re never going to guess what happened. It has to do with being smart, and with helping mankind, and contributing to the greater good!

Do I have you on the edge of your seat yet? Good. Because this is big! Okay, drum roll please! (Okay, maybe not drum roll. I don’t really like loud noises. But you get the idea.)

I’m so smart that my photo was used in a scientific paper!

No, I’m not kidding. A couple of months ago, Mom got an email from a mathematician in Austria who was working on a paper titled “Automated reasoning in elementary geometry: towards inquiry learning.” Don’t ask me what any of this means – and don’t ask Mom, either. Math has never been her strong suit. Anyway, the researcher found my photo during a Google search, and asked Mom for permission to use it in his paper.

cat-ladder-math-paper

Apparently he’s using the example of a cat falling off a ladder to highlight whatever point he’s making in his paper. “A second task we highlight is the locus of a falling cat that is sitting at a fixed position on a ladder which is sliding down a wall. The task is to determine the geometric movement of the cat. This example is actually a reformulation of the trammel of Archimedes, also known as an ellipsograph, that produces an elliptic motion.”

math-paper-graph

Whew, lots of big words, huh?

But seriously, how totally cool is this!

Allegra: Just because your photo was used doesn’t mean you’re smart, Ruby.

Ruby: That’s Dr. Ruby, Ph.D. to you, Allegra!

Allegra: sighs. I knew this was going to go to your head, little one.

Ruby: And here you thought you were the smart one in this family!

Allegra: rolls eyes.

Ruby: Mom, this means I get tuna every day now, right?

Ingrid: I have to be honest, I’m just as tickled as Ruby about this. I certainly never thought I’d be cited in the reference section of a scientific paper, and most definitely not a math paper. I was a pretty good student, but my forté was languages, not math. I barely passed math in high school.

You can find the link to the full paper here.

Cat Ladder Feline Furniture

cat-ladder

For more information about the ladder Ruby is sitting on, please read Cat Ladder Review: Catification at its Best. And stay tuned for a review of a new cat ladder soon!

contribute banner ad

The post Ruby’s Reflections: Contributing to Science appeared first on The Conscious Cat.



No comments

Powered by Blogger.