Header Ads

How Much Food Should I Feed My 3.8 lbs, 4-Month-Old Skinny Puppy?



Dear VetBabble,

I can’t figure out how much food to give my dog! She’s a little over four months old, 3.8 lbs, and everyone from the pet store owner to the vet says that she is too skinny. How much should I feed her if I don’t have a scale in my kitchen? Currently, I am feeding her about a cup a day, two times, but I’m going to start three times. I’m using Royal Canin Junior dog food. Can you help me figure this out?

Understanding How Much to Feed Your Puppy

Feeding puppies can be quite confusing, and various sources may give different advice. In this situation, it’s essential to follow a simple routine and listen to the recommendations of the dog food company. First, let’s understand the basics of feeding your puppy by following the guide on How Much Should My Dog Eat.

Weighing Your Puppy and Adjusting Food Intake

Make it a routine to weigh your puppy once a week. Once you have the weight, decide whether you feel your dog is too thin or overweight. Then, determine the ideal weight you want your puppy to have at that current time. Look at the feeding guide provided by the dog food company (usually on the back of the food bag) and feed your puppy based on the amount recommended for the desired weight. For example, if your puppy weighs 3.8 pounds and you think they should weigh 5 pounds, feed them the amount suitable for a 5-pound puppy. To better understand your puppy’s growth, you can also use a Puppy Growth Calculator.

Continue doing this until your puppy turns one year old. At that point, weighing can be done once a month, and you can simply feed according to the recommendations provided by the dog food company. Keep in mind that if you change food brands or types, you may need to adjust the feeding amount accordingly.

Choosing the Right Puppy Food

Eating a well-balanced diet is critical for your puppy’s growth and health. Sticking with high-quality puppy food, like the Royal Canin Junior you are currently using, is a good choice. However, it’s essential to understand what constitutes a healthy dog food choice and the best methods for selecting the right one. Here are 5 Rules to Follow When Searching for the Best Puppy Food.

A balanced diet is crucial for your puppy’s overall health, and this article on Dog Food: A Balanced Diet for Your Dog offers more insight into providing such a diet.

I hope this information helps you facilitate your puppy’s proper growth and health. Remember to weigh and adjust the feeding amount regularly, follow the advice from your dog food manufacturer, and provide high-quality dog food to ensure a balanced diet. Have a great day, and keep giving your puppy the love and care they deserve!

The post How Much Food Should I Feed My 3.8 lbs, 4-Month-Old Skinny Puppy? appeared first on VetBabble.



No comments

Powered by Blogger.